It’s a crazy time out there right now! I want to start off by saying that I hope you and your family are safe at home and practicing social distancing. Naturally my husband and I are home bodies so staying at home for the 3rd week has been quite pleasant – we are fortunate enough to still have our jobs and are able to work from home.
Practicing social distancing (or more, physical distancing) means that I’ve had to reduce the number of trips I make to the grocery store. That compounded by the fact that I have more free time at home now (since I’ve cut my commute down to 0% and can no longer go to the gym), I’ve had a lot of free time on my hands to explore my pantry and become inspired again.
This is how I came up with these vegan layered pantry brownies a.k.a quarantine brownies. I started off by reviewing what ingredients I had in my pantry that I hadn’t touched in a while (and when I say a while, I mean probably 6 months to a year) and then googling what I could make with it.
These vegan layered pantry brownies were born out of boredom and a necessity to use up old ingredients in my pantry. I also admittedly have been snacking a lot more so I wanted to make these brownies slightly healthier by omitting the traditional sugar filled condensed milk and filling it with a chickpea batter instead. I also didn’t have enough graham crackers so half of the crust is made from ground up ice cream cones, though you can skip that part!
I hope you guys like this recipe and feel inspired to explore your pantry during this time.
Now set forth and be savvy!
- 1 ½ cups graham cracker crumbs
- ½ cup vegan butter, melted
- 1 ½ cup chickpeas (about 1 can)
- ½ cup tahini
- ¼ cup quinoa flour (or whatever flour you have on hand like oats or almond)
- ½ cup aquafaba (reserve chickpea water)
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut shreds, reserving about 2 tbsps
- 1 cup butter scotch chips, reserving about 2 tbsps
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips, reserving about 2 tbsps
- ½ cup chopped nuts of your choice (pecans, peanuts, walnuts, almonds etc)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix the melted butter and graham cracker crumbs in a bowl.
- Press into the bottom of a 9 x 9 baking dish.
- Mix all of the chickpea batter ingredients in a blender until smooth, scraping down the sides.
- Using a spoon, mix all of the mix in ingredients into the blended chickpea mixture
- Pour the mixture onto the crust
- Mix the reserved mix ins together and sprinkle on top of the chickpea mixture
- Bake for 30 minutes
- Let cool for minimum 20 minutes before digging in