I always have bananas on hand for smoothies, oatmeal bowls and to eat on toast. I rarely ever have bananas in the freezer because we always eat them all up before they go bad. However, every now and then, usually when we go on vacation, I end up having to freeze some bananas for a later use to prevent them from going bad and wasting them.
Of course, the best thing to make with frozen over ripened bananas is a banana bread! My vegan banana bread was created out of pure necessity to use up the odd bananas that I throw into the freezer. This loaf uses minimal ingredients and uses butter soy milk in place of oils. I like to use this recipe as a base for other loafs, such as a chocolate chip banana bread, chocolate banana bread and even a carrot and banana bread – recipes to come soon!
This bread is spongy, has the perfect amount of sweetness and is really moist. Enjoy this for breakfast, as an afternoon pick me up or even as a dessert after dinner. Hope you enjoy my simple vegan banana bread below!
Now set forth and be savvy!
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax seed and 3 tbsp hot water)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened soy milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 ripened bananas
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Make your flax egg by mixing the ground flax seeds and hot water in a bowl, set aside
- Make your butter soy milk by combining the apple cider vinegar to the unsweetened soy milk in a bowl, set aside
- Mash the bananas in a medium sized bowl and mix in the sugar until absorbed
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt with a spatula
- Mix in the flax egg and the butter soy milk into the banana and sugar mixture
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and fold until just combined, do not over mix
- Grease a loaf pan with coconut oil if it is non stick (skip this step if it’s a non-stick pan)
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, testing with a toothpick at 50 minutes to ensure the center is cooked