The holidays are quickly approaching and it’s time for baking season to commence! I don’t really have much of a sweet tooth, but I do like things that are both sweet and savoury. My vegan raisin and pistachio shortbread cookies are perfect for me because they are not too sweet but savoury because of the pistachios and vegan butter.
These cookies are so easy to make and you can easily make the dough and store it in the freezer until ready to bake! I hope you make them and enjoy them with your family.
Now set forth and be savvy!
- 1 cup vegan butter, softened
- ¾ cup icing sugar
- Zest from 1 orange
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cup raisins
- ¾ cup chopped unsalted pistachios
- Pinch of salt
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter, icing sugar and zest from 1 orange until smooth
- Scrape down the mixture from the sides of the bowl, add flour and mix until just incorporated
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and continue to mix until well incorporated
- Grab 2 pieces of parchment paper approximately 12×16 inches
- Separate the dough in half, and place on top of each piece of parchment paper
- Starting with the first sheet, being to roll the parchment paper over the dough to form a log that is about 2.5-3 inches thick
- Fold the ends of the parchment paper around the ends of the log and continue to roll the dough over itself to form a seal (you want the parchment paper to completely encase around the dough)
- Repeat with the 2nd piece and dough
- Let chill in the fridge for about 30 minutes
- Once chilled, it will be easy to slice – using a serrated knife, you should be able to get about 15 cookies per log
- Arrange cookies on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper (you can use the parchment paper you used to wrap the logs in the fridge) – the cookies will not really expand so they do not need to be space too far apart, but make sure they are not touching as they will stick as they bake.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown
- Let cool before serving or packaging for the holidays!