I have been obsessed with scones ever since I tried the famous scones from Cobs many years ago. I’ve missed the buttery yet subtle sweetness from these scones and knew I wanted to make my own vegan version. These blueberry scones take literally minutes to put together and is very easy to freeze. I always have a few in the freezer to satisfy any cravings.
You can easily change the fruit in these and make your own custom scones by using my recipe as a base. I have a few other flavours I am testing out and can’t wait to share them when they’re done!
Hope you enjoy my easy Vegan Blueberry Scone recipe with a lemon glaze.
Now set forth and be savvy!
Ingredients for Scones
- ½ cup soy milk + 1 tsp acv
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax seed and 3 tbsp hot water)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted vegan butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Zest of 1 lemon
Ingredients for Lemon Glaze
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Make your flax egg by mixing the water and ground flax seed in a small bowl, set aside.
- Make your vegan buttermilk by mixing your non-dairy milk and ACV in a bowl, set aside.
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl until well blended.
- Using a fork or a pastry blender, cut the vegan butter into the flour mixture until the mixture resembles large pea sized crumbles.
- In another bowl, mix the flax egg, vegan buttermilk and vanilla extract together.
- Add the wet ingredients, blueberries and lemon zest to the flour and butter mixture. Mix until it comes together.
- Shape the dough into a large circle about 1 inch thick – I also like to shape them using a round takeout container that’s been coated in flour.
- Place the dough into the fridge while you pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- You can also pre-make this dough and store it in the fridge overnight so you can bake them first thing in the morning.
- To bake, cut the round dough into 8 wedges and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 30 – 35 minutes.
- While the scones are baking, make the glaze by mixing the powdered sugar and lemon juice together.
- When the scones come out of the oven, let them cool slightly before drizzling he glaze over top.